Who and How!
This time of year I do some self assessment. Most of it revolves around my relationship with God , family and the church body. In evaluating those relationships, some of the big questions I ask myself are: What conviction & reality am I living from? What is my Identity & how do I express that in relationships? Do I live from a big picture / eternity focus? What really matters & is my life becoming more and more about those things?
Two things Scripture can give us clarity on that will help answer these questions: Position & Power. The Position you occupy, as in who you are and where you are with God. The Power that informs and drives your actions and thoughts.
Today two passages: one about position, and one about power. I hope this gives you inspiration for the coming year and it’s challenges!
28 And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. 29 For God knew his people in advance, and he chose them to become like his Son, so that his Son would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
- How do we know this is true? (History, Scripture & Christ’s Spirit)
- Being called and responding by loving God are tied up together in God’s way
- Foreknew / Foreordained His own and gave them a destiny HE determines
- The destiny God gives those HE chooses is sonship /daughter-ship like christ
- To be like Christ is to be born into a second life that is eternal & perfect
30 And having chosen them, he called them to come to him. And having called them, he gave them right standing with himself. And having given them right standing, he gave them his glory.
- God’s will, purposes and ways operate outside our idea of linear time
- God’s call cannot be refused, HIS choice cannot be revoked
- He choses, He calls and You are given His Spirit to dwell in you: DONE DEAL
- The Spirit is the mark of redemption and the foretaste of glory to be
- It puts you in the position of ‘God’s Child’
31 What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? 32 Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?
- It has left preachers trying to describe how wonderful it is for 2000 plus years
- The reality of our position as chosen, called & born again like Christ is
- The big idea God is communicating to us is that if He calls us we are HIS!
- If we are His, He is FOR US! In all the best ways (based on His idea of best)
- The proof of that is what He did to put us in that position: Sacrificed His Son
- If He has already given what is most precious; of course He will give everythin
33 Who dares accuse us whom God has chosen for his own? No one—for God himself has given us right standing with himself. 34 Who then will condemn us? No one—for Christ Jesus died for us and was raised to life for us, and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.
- God says you’re His, HE puts you in that position, who can say you’re not His?
- Many will try to condemn those God choses to give eternal life, but no one can
- What Christ has done proves the supremacy of His power
- And when you surrender your life to Him He then upholds your claim as chosen
Do you fully embrace and occupy the Position Christ has given YOU?
16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong.
- God has the resources for you to be empowered to live for Him
- Welcoming & trusting Jesus Christ’s abiding love is the way we stay strong
18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
- If you are His the understanding is available to you by His Spirit in you
- It’s our life’s work to understand the fullness of God’s love (complete in eternity)
If Christ defines your purpose in this life then you can trust God for now & the future.
God knows you; if He chose you then He has called you, if He calls you He gives you Christ’s position & glory!
God has sacrificed HIS Son to put you in this irrevocable position; HE is for YOU!
God empowers & encourages His chosen by His Spirit (Christ Inhabiting your life)
Understanding & Trusting in God’s love is the source of strength (power for this life)
Being united with Christ provides power for this life based on the promise of the next.
Is it possible to seek God’s calling? Is it possible to reject God’s calling?
What is you plan for 2021 to grow in your understanding and trust of God’s love?
How do you connect to the empowerment of God’s indwelling Spirit?
What things can undermine your confidence in your salvation in Christ Jesus?