(V28-29) …Jesus went on toward Jerusalem, walking ahead of his disciples. As he came to the towns of Bethphage and Bethany on the Mount of Olives, he sent two disciples ahead.
- Leading them into purpose, example
- Even though He leads us He sends us as well (Luke 9 sends the Twelve & 72)
(V30-31) “Go into that village over there,” he told them. “As you enter it, you will see a young donkey tied there that no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. If anyone asks, ‘Why are you untying that colt?’ just say, ‘The Lord needs it.’”
- Humility happen is real life in the shared spaces…
- What Christ leads them to obedience without seeking to justify / explain
(V32-34) So they went and found the colt, just as Jesus had said. And sure enough, as they were untying it, the owners asked them, “Why are you untying that colt?” And the disciples simply replied, “The Lord needs it.”
- Jesus Christ demonstrates to them His sovereignty.
- His Sovereignty is the cornerstone of OUR HUMILITY!
(V35-36) So they brought the colt to Jesus and threw their garments over it for him to ride on. As he rode along, the crowds spread out their garments on the road ahead of him.
- The humbled is honored
- How different than how it works in our world
- Would you put your coat down on the road for an animal to walk on it?
Matthew 21:4-5 This took place to fulfill the prophecy that said,“Tell the people of Jerusalem, ‘Look, your King is coming to you. He is humble, riding on a donkey—riding on a donkey’s colt.’” (combo of Isa. 62:11 & Zach 9:9)
- Matthew was focused on a Jewish audience so He mentions their scriptures
- The specificity of ‘Donkey’s Colt’
(V37) When he reached the place where the road started down the Mount of Olives, all of his followers began to shout and sing as they walked along, praising God for all the wonderful miracles they had seen.
- Still well outside of Jerusalem, the crowd is growing
- The attention is on God because of the way Jesus rolls…
(V38) “Blessings on the King who comes in the name of the Lord! Peace in heaven, and glory in highest heaven!” (‘Hosanna’: Matthew 21:9)
- These are the highest of all praise, there is identification as the Messiah!
- Matthew records use of the word ‘Hosanna’ which means ‘Save Us’
(V 39-40) But some of the Pharisees among the crowd said, “Teacher, rebuke your followers for saying things like that!” He replied, “If they kept quiet, the stones along the road would burst into cheers!”
- Pharisees never show ANY humility…only ‘false humility’
- They try to get Christ to play their game
- Jesus responds W/ reality, humility does not exclude Him or us from being real
- Spiritual Reality: creation will rejoices in The Messiah (Then, Now and Future)
(41-42) But as he came closer to Jerusalem and saw the city ahead, he began to weep. “How I wish today that you of all people would understand the way to peace. But now it is too late, and peace is hidden from your eyes.”
- Jerusalem represents The Corrupt Jewish Religious Establishment (Temple)
- Christ again demonstrates His sovereignty so we can be humble (He knows)
- Recognizing factual reality and dealing with it, as it is, takes humility (U know)
- We can truly care for the spiritual wellbeing of other is to be humbled by love
(V43-44a) “Before long your enemies will build ramparts against your walls and encircle you and close in on you from every side. They will crush you into the ground, and your children with you.”
- Roman Invasion of Jerusalem in 77AD (perfect description of it)
(V44b) “Your enemies will not leave a single stone in place, because you did not recognize it when God visited you.”
- The ‘Stones’ speak of The Temple which was completely destroyed
- They put their faith in their religion (pride of performance) opposite of humility
- Lack of humility will keep you from recognizing who God really is: Christ!
At this moment of popular recognition, why does Jesus exemplify true humility?
How important is humility in the life of a Disciple of Christ? Rate your humility 1-10.
How do you react to getting attention for ‘Being Spiritual’?
What makes you react to attention like Christ? What has made you more humble?
When in your life has your true humility been honored by God?
What is the connection between humility and concern for people far from God?
If some people will not recognize Jesus, why obey God by trying to make disciples?