Living God’s Way Reveals God’s Will
Our Vision: To be Gospel-Living, Disciple-Making, Community-Serving followers of Christ.
Our Values:Scripture / Prayer / Family / Generosity
Our Practices:Building Biblical Community / Forming Intentional Relationships / Prioritizing Active Involvement / Embracing Ongoing Transformation / Focusing on Multiplication / Fostering Collaboration / Pursuing Truth
We focus on these things, based on Scripture because we believe God has called us to live in these ways.
If we live the way God has called us to we will understand more clearly His will for us
1 One day Ruth’s mother-in-law Naomi said to her, “My daughter, I must find a home for you, where you will be well provided for. 2 Now Boaz, with whose women you have worked, is a relative of ours…
- Namoi looking to other’s interests…(Philippians 2:4)
- She is looking to work within the circumstances God has created
- God’s way is seeking Him where He has you & in the circumstances you are in
Tonight he will be winnowing barley on the threshing floor. 3 Wash, put on perfume, and get dressed in your best clothes. Then go down to the threshing floor, but don’t let him know you are there until he has finished eating and drinking. 4 When he lies down, note the place where he is lying. Then go and uncover his feet and lie down. He will tell you what to do.”
- Present your best self; it honors God, He made you!
- Doing good things without a spotlight and without public witness (Performance)
- Biblical principals of humility and honor.
- Choosing tho align ourselves with others who have Christ Centered Priorities
- Depending on God is God’s way of living (for us who follow Christ)
5 “I will do whatever you say,” Ruth answered. 6 So she went down to the threshing floor and did everything her mother-in-law told her to do. 7 When Boaz had finished eating and drinking and was in good spirits, he went over to lie down at the far end of the grain pile. Ruth approached quietly, uncovered his feet and lay down.
- Ruth trusts Namoi & God taking advise; submit to one another: Ephesians 5:21
- She could try to take control but she does what Namoi tells her to do
8 In the middle of the night something startled the man; he turned—and there was a woman lying at his feet! 9 “Who are you?” he asked. “I am your servant Ruth,” she said. “Spread the corner of your garment over me, since you are a guardian-redeemer of our family.”
- She references God’s way (the guardian redeemer) to see where He is
- She asks him to accept the God-given role by making gesture (be her covering)
10 “The Lord bless you, my daughter,” he replied. “This kindness is greater than that which you showed earlier: You have not run after the younger men, whether rich or poor. 11 And now, my daughter, don’t be afraid. I will do for you all you ask. All the people of my town know that you are a woman of noble character.
- For Boaz, The Lord is the source of all blessings
- He affirms Ruth’s way (God’s Way) of seeking provision / protection
- He noticed she didn’t take the route most pleasurable to her thought of others
- He uses the term ‘daughter’
- They have shared values that come from good Theology
12 Although it is true that I am a guardian-redeemer of our family, there is another who is more closely related than I. 13 Stay here for the night, and in the morning if he wants to do his duty as your guardian-redeemer, good; let him redeem you. But if he is not willing, as surely as the Lord lives I will do it. Lie here until morning.”
- Boaz will not cut corners, he wants to do it God’s way
- Has Ruth stay for safety reasons
- Boaz wants to redeem Ruth but is willing to trust God to give him the chance
- If given the chance, he will do it. (as sure an oath as he could make)
14 So she lay at his feet until morning, but got up before anyone could be recognized; and he said, “No one must know that a woman came to the threshing floor.” 15 He also said, “Bring me the shawl you are wearing and hold it out.” When she did so, he poured into it six measures of barley and placed the bundle on her. Then he went back to town.
- She does what he says to do, following Namoi’s instructions
- Everything was above board but Boaz is wise to eliminate wrong perceptions
- He is concerned about Ruth reputation
- He gives her a reason to be out this early, she just went and bought barley
16 When Ruth came to her mother-in-law, Naomi asked, “How did it go, my daughter?” Then she told her everything Boaz had done for her 17 and added, “He gave me these six measures of barley, saying, ‘Don’t go back to your mother-in-law empty-handed.’” 18 Then Naomi said, “Wait, my daughter, until you find out what happens. For the man will not rest until the matter is settled today.”
- Namoi knew what was at stake
- Boaz is letting Namoi know, through Ruth, that he is looking to bless them both
- Namoi knows it is a done deal, tells Ruth to wait (Wait on The Lord)
- Tune in next week when…
Living God’s way involves Waiting & Acting:
Ruth & Boaz in some way ‘wait on The Lord’ to discover His Will
Boaz and Ruth act with intention when they see God move
How can you help others figure out their way in this life using Biblical Principals?
How willing are you to humble yourself for others in ways that will not be noticed?
Boaz is a role model of God given integrity; how can you imitate him?
Where in your life should you wait? Where in your life should you act intentionally?