Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against His anointed, saying,“Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles.”
The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. He rebukes them in His anger and terrifies them in His wrath, saying,“I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain. ”
I will proclaim the Lord’s decree: He said to me, “You are my Son; today I have become Your father. Ask Me, and I will make the nations Your inheritance, the ends of the earth Your possession. You will break them with a rod of iron; You will dash them to pieces like pottery.”
Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate His rule with trembling. Kiss His Son, or He will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction, for His wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in Him.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer speaking of the mystery involved in The Davidic Psalms:
“In the Psalms of David the promised Christ Himself already speaks, or as may be indicated, the Holy Spirit. These same words which David spoke, therefore, the future Messiah spoke through him. The prayers of David were prayed also by Christ, or better yet, Christ himself prayed them through his forerunner David.
1 THE I AM says to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies Your footstool.”
- God calls himself the knowable self-existent ONE
- David writes as though observing a convo between Yahweh & Jesus
- Christ is David’s Lord and Christ is in David praying this prayer!
2 THE I AM will send your powerful scepter out from Zion, so that You will rule over Your enemies around You.
- God will project His power through the Christ, at the Cross in Jerusalem
- Christ’s death and resurrection win the battle, but the enemies are still here
- This describes the situation of Christ’s Church : Christ rules but enemies exist
3 On the day Your forces mobilize, Your people willingly offer themselves in holy splendor from the womb of the dawn; the dew of your youth is yours.
- This is the day of Christ’s return (could not be 1st coming)
- On Christ’s return to finalize His rule, HIS church will shine forth in sacrifice
- They will become a glory giving army fully devoted to their Lord
Your troops will be willing on Your day of battle. Arrayed in holy splendor, Your young men will come to You like dew from the morning’s womb. NIV
4 THE I AM has sworn it, and He will never retract — “You are a Priest forever, to be compared with Melchizedek.”
- The oath of God is Irrevocable!
- Christ is declared as The One who can go between God & Man
- Forever He has been that, His priesthood not like Aaron’s by like Melchizedek
5 ADONAI at Your right hand, You will shatter kings on the day of His anger.
- This name of God speaks to His Omni-everythingness
- His power is projected through His Messiah
- Christ will ultimately will enact God’s wrath against Sin (2nd coming)
6 He will pass judgment among the earth, filling it with dead bodies. He will shatter heads of nations throughout an extensive territory.
- The destiny of those who oppose the existentialist creator of the universe
- They will be judged and destroyed
- This will be planet wide
He will judge the nations, heaping up the dead and crushing the rulers of the whole earth. NIV
7 He will drink from a stream as He goes on His way; therefore He will hold His head high.
- The Messiah will effortlessly defeat His foes, without struggle
- The Messiah will be perfectly righteous and justified in His judgement of sin
For Christ’s followers this is a prayer to and with Yahweh, by His Spirit in complete agreement as to who His Holy One, His Anointed One, His Messiah is: JESUS CHRIST!
He is the righteous extension of The Self Existent One’s Authority just as a Son is for his Father. This is describing what God will do when HE fulfills the promise He made to David thru Nathan the prophet In 1 Chronicles 17:11-14:
When your days are over and you go to be with your ancestors, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. I will be his father, and he will be my son. I will never take my love away from him, as I took it away from your predecessor. I will set him over my house and my kingdom forever; his throne will be established forever.’”
Prayer (Psalm 110)
Father, Son, Holy Spirit; YOU declare yourself ‘The Self-existent One’ and in Your triune expression of Your Godhead, You lovingly collaborate with Your Son Jesus Christ, who was David’s Lord and MY Lord.
Father in Your perfect union with your Son and Your Spirit, You place the Son into favor and empower the eternal victory of the Messiah. Glory to YOU!
Father, Son Holy Spirit you have spoken through Your Prophet declaring that You would launch the rule of Your Christ from Your Holy Place, Jerusalem. This is where You laid down Your life compelling me to lay down mine.
Lord I believe Your Kingdom won MY salvation on the Cross of Christ and He rules My life in the midst of His enemies, Lord I pray You rule my life more fully today.
Christ Jesus, I belong to You and await the day of your return. I will be part of Your personal Honor Guard in final battle. I will come naturally to You. I will reflect Your splendor.
Lord You have promised and will not change the reality that Your Christ, Jesus of Nazareth, will act as a perfect mediator between Creator and creation. I place my faith in that mediation.
Jesus, I believe Your kingdom will come, Your enemies will know Your wrath, Your judgement and Your authoritative domination of everything. Lord this is your eternal destiny, You are pleased and fulfilled in it.