Intro to The Book of Revelation
Brother of James, Son of Zabedee, Disciple of John the Baptist
Youngest disciple of Jesus’ Twelve
The Disciple Jesus Loved
Surrogate Son to Mary Jesus’ Mother
One of the three ‘Pillar’s of the Jerusalem Church
John the Church Planter
John post Patmos
Iconic John The Revealer
Wrote This Book, His Gospel & 3 Epistles AFTER Patmos
It is a Revelation of who God is.
‘Prophetic’ in multiple ways…true prophecy reveals reality about God
This will be our focus, not how the ‘End Times’ will play out.
Personal Application is the challenge with much of Revelation
Look for what you can see that is clear about God & about yourself…
Incorporate the knowledge and wisdom into your daily life (character)
It states the purpose of the writing by John
Deals with just exactly who God is / Who Jesus Christ is
This is a revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants the events that must soon take place.
- If you consider yourself a ‘Servant’ of Jesus Christ, then this MUST matter
- This is what we say we always want: ‘A Word from God’
He sent an angel to present this revelation to his servant John, who faithfully reported everything he saw. This is his report of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.
- Angels are literally ‘Messengers’ of God’s: Word, Will and Way
- Jesus is speaking through His servant (John) to His servants (US)
- This is how we know God’s will (General will for every Believer)
God blesses the one who reads the words of this prophecy to the church, and he blesses all who listen to its message and obey what it says, for the time is near.
- I will be honest; I want God’s blessings
- I want you all to be blessed as well
- Two steps: Listen (really understand) & Obey
This letter is from John to the seven churches in the province of Asia.
- Who John is matters, he has spent a lifetime learning about God 1st hand
- The ‘Seven’ speaking of Totality
- This can be interpreted to be written to the ‘Total’ Church
- There is something in this message for all who believe in Jesus Christ as Lord
Grace and peace to you from the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come; from the sevenfold Spirit before his throne; and from Jesus Christ.
- Sevenfold Spirit (Totality of God’s Spirit)
He is the faithful witness to these things, the first to rise from the dead, and the ruler of all the kings of the world.
- Jesus Christ is the ‘Truth’ = Faithful Witness
- This is not of John’s mind…’Divine Inspiration’
- He leads the rest of us who will rise
- Christ ultimately has all authority
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us. He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.
- This is the Revelation of exactly who Jesus Christ IS!
- This is Revelation about who we are ‘IN HIM’
- This is how we can reverence and ‘Position’ him in our lives
- Are you in on the ‘AMEN’?
Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him—even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him. Yes! Amen!
- There is a time coming when Jesus Christ will return
- EVERYONE will truly know who He is
- The ‘Second Coming’ is a crucial part of the Gospel
“I am the Alpha and the Omega—the beginning and the end,” says the Lord God. “I am the one who is, who always was, and who is still to come—the Almighty One.”
- This is Jesus Christ
- He is God
- This is the Revelation of That Reality (Doctrine of Trinity)
How can YOU in every day life, take on the role of Christ’s servant?
Why is it important to know the message of Christ to YOU, as His servant?
If blessings come from listening to & obeying this message, how do WE pursue that?
What truths are expressed in these ‘self descriptive’ statements by God / Christ?
Why is it crucial to believe what Christ has done & who WE are because of Him?
How does the reality of Christ coming back impact the way YOU live?
Why is it important for YOU to recognize Christ as God Himself?