‘The United Temple’ Chapter 3:16 – 4:5
In this letter Paul started with the importance of unity.
Then the theme of how the world’s wisdom is opposite of God’s wisdom.
Next the critical need to have and yield to God’s Spirit
And then, how these things go into Spiritual maturity, then back to unity…
What the thrust of this passage is: If there are factions, then there is no Temple
3:11-13 (Last Week)
For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work.
- Once in the body of Christ we are to build precious, eternal things
- We will have to answer for what we have built
1 Corinthians 3:16 – 4:5
Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person; for God’s temple is sacred, and you together are that temple.
- We are a Sacred Collective: It only exists when we are unified in Christ
- The Temple is where God’s worship is done in Spirit and in Truth
- God’s Spirit is here, will we let HIM have HIS way?
- God says: a person can destroy that temple! How can that be?
- We are only as united as the least united among us is: ‘The Weakest Link’
- Sacredness is found in the togetherness, the true worship, in that togetherness
Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight.
- If we are warned to not be deceive by ourselves it must mean we often are…
- What informs your values and priorities?
- The only objective standard we who belong to Christ use: GOD’S WORD
- God’s Word defines what is wise in God’s sight, do you know it well enough?
As it is written: “He catches the wise in their craftiness” and again, “The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile.” So then, no more boasting about human leaders! All things are yours, whether Paul or Apollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future—all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God.
- ‘As it is written’ is what Jesus said when quoting the Old Testament scriptures
- Matthew 4:4 Jesus is quoting Deut. 8:3 to Satan
- He is appealing to the authority of Scripture in the believer lives
- He is encouraging them to focus on what matters, not leadership preferences
- We each as individuals have so much in Christ
Job 5:12-13: He thwarts the plans of the crafty, so that their hands achieve no success. He catches the wise in their craftiness, and the schemes of the wily are swept away.
Psalm 94:10-12: Does he who disciplines nations not punish? Does he who teaches mankind lack knowledge? The Lord knows all human plans, he knows that they are futile. Blessed is the one you discipline, Lord, the one you teach from your law.
This, then, is how you ought to regard us: as servants of Christ and as those entrusted with the mysteries God has revealed. Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful.
- How do you regard the leadership of our church?
- 20 years ago I had no idea the sacrifices it takes to serve Christ & HIS church
- I do believe I have been blessed to receive, carry and share The Mysteries
- The Gospel of Jesus Christ
- I fully believe I will have to answer for my faithfulness, as do the rest of leaders
- Christ’s leaders are given a sacred trust, we must prove faithful
I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
- Paul know who’s opinion really matters (An Audience of One)
- In humility he dosen’t try to justify himself, he has nothing to hide
- But even his opinion doesn’t matter, only God’s
Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.
- God says wait to Judge, in HIS time Our Lord will reveal what is the truth
- The motives of your heart and my heart are not for us to judge in each other
- Worry about your motives, not your brother of sister’
When we make the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ our ultimate reality…
- We come together as a body and focus on what is important, CHRIST
- We guard our unity with great care and love
What does it mean to YOU to be part of a ‘Sacred Collective’?
In what part of your might YOU take the advise and become a ‘fool’?
How can YOU be a part of promoting what have in Christ instead of church leaders?
How do YOU view the leadership of this church, has it proven faithful?
How can Paul have a clear conscience and still not be innocent?
Why should WE leave Judgement of motives to God?