The Yeast of Unrepentant Sin in False Converts
The topic of Church discipline is an emotional minefield
People have been hurt by churches practicing Non Biblical Church Discipline
The only Biblical reason to remove someone from a church membership is for unrepentant, planned, ongoing sin… WHILE confessing to be a Christian
The witness of the church to the world is to be about obedience born of love / grace
We are to live a life ‘Set Apart’ by Christ, for Christ and patterned after Christ
1st Corinthians 5:6-13
Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough?
- The attitude of allowing, & celebrating unrepentant sin is dangerous / infectious
- The lowered / non-Biblical standard will spread and become ‘Culture’
Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
- The example is of yeast in bread…it is an illusion to the Exodus from Egypt
- Yeast is symbolic of Sin / Evil (Exodus 12:15 / Matthew 16:6)
Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old bread leavened with malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
- Keeping the Festival is doing it as God has commanded
- The nation of Israel kept the Passover to keep connected to God’s promises
- Unleavened bread is with out the infiltrating influence of unrepentant sin
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world.
- Paul wrote the church a previous letter that is no longer exists (not HS Inspired)
- He’s clarifying his instruction: The expectation isn’t for non-confessors of Christ
But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.
- We are called as Jesus Church to not affirm ‘False Converts’
- False Converts have no desire for: Discipleship / Holiness / Scripture / Change
- Tenets / Standards of Judaeo Christian faith are unchanged for 3400 years
- As members of the body we are called to value Sincerity & Truth
- Those claiming Christ without being Biblically Converted are not to be affirmed in their insincere claim.
- Let’s be honest about our surrender to Christ or not
What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”
- The question is about the churches role in upholding the standard of Christ
- We are not called to judge behavior & lifestyles of those outside Christ’s Body
- All who have not surrendered their lives to Christ are under God’s judgement
- Paul affirms the responsibility of the Church Body to stay ‘Unleavened’
- We re to be set apart by Christ, & are Christ accountable to Christ & His Body
- The Non-Biblically Converted exclude themselves from the Body of Christ
Why does Paul compare the acceptance of Unrepentant Sin to yeast in bread?
What is the significance of the Passover Festival to you as a Christ Follower?
Why is there often a passivity in The Church about evaluating other’s faith claims?
How do we @ Midtown have honest accountability about Biblical Standards?