The Story: Reveals ‘The Light’
Angel Visit / Visit to Aunt & Uncle / Trip to Bethlehem, no room, baby born, Shepherds after Angel visit show up…
…and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told…
Luke 2: 21-35
Eight days later, when the baby was circumcised, he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel even before he was conceived. Then it was time for their purification offering, as required by the law of Moses after the birth of a child; so his parents took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord.
- Jewish tradition of circumcision followed, connection thru Abraham
- Jesus name in Aramaic: Yahshua, meaning: Yahweh is salvation. ‘The Light’
- Law of Moses: present Jesus to ‘The Lord’… doing things God’s way
This is all two years before the visit of The Magi from the east…
The law of the Lord says, “If a woman’s first child is a boy, he must be dedicated to the Lord.” So they offered the sacrifice required in the law of the Lord—“either a pair of turtledoves or two young pigeons.”
- Offered the day after 40 day period (female child offered the day after 80 days)
- Connection to Godly living, obedient Jews in the land…because not all were
At that time there was a man in Jerusalem named Simeon. He was righteous and devout and was eagerly waiting for the Messiah to come and rescue Israel. The Holy Spirit was upon him and had revealed to him that he would not die until he had seen the Lord’s Messiah.
- He is declared in God’s Word as righteous & devout!
- The list of Individuals Scripture specifically call: ‘Righteous; Noah, Job, Abraham, David, Joseph, John The Baptist, Joseph of Arimathea… Jesus!
- The anticipation of the Messiah about 973yrs since David
That day the Spirit led him to the Temple. So when Mary and Joseph came to present the baby Jesus to the Lord as the law required, Simeon was there. He took the child in his arms and praised God, saying,
- Another point of Illumination: Angel / Star / Shepherds…Now this
“Sovereign Lord, now let your servant die in peace, as you have promised. I have seen your salvation, which you have prepared for all people. He is a light to reveal God to the nations, and he is the glory of your people Israel!”
- How to see the light: God Sovereign / Be A Servant / Faith in Promises
- God’s salvation is ‘The Light’
- Coming from Israel…for all people
- It is starting to sink in…all come together…
- He did some kind of blessing… then addressed Mary specifically, not Joseph
“This child is destined to cause many in Israel to fall, and many others to rise. He has been sent as a sign from God, but many will oppose him. As a result, the deepest thoughts of many hearts will be revealed. And a sword will pierce your very soul.”
- The rise and fall is that people will have to take sides
- Jesus spoke of the division He would cause: Matthew 10:34
“Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.”
- He is straight from God but not everyone will see it.
- What is believed about Him, The Christ, will reveal the depth of a soul
- And Mary, it is gonna be rough on you!
1 John 1:1-4
We proclaim to you the one who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw him with our own eyes and touched him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. This One, who Is life itself (Salvation) was revealed to us, and we have seen him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that he is the One who is eternal life.
He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ. We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy.
The greatest gift anyone can get is to fully see the light of Christ and live in surrendered fellowship with His disciples: What we were created for!
Application Questions: (answer with ‘I’ statements)
On a scale of 1 – 10 how important is it to You to do things God’s way? Why?
Why should YOU put the whole story of Scripture together about Christ’s Advent?
What’s standing between YOU and “The Light of Christ’, keeping You from seeing?
What of the deepest thoughts in YOUR heart are not settled about Christ?
How are You going to fully share in the Joy of Christ’s birth?