Spiritual Gifts For Each Other
Understanding the term ‘Spiritual Gifts’… ‘Grace-Gifts’…Gifts of Grace
They are given to us & we are to be ‘Stewards’ of these gifts, using them for others
They are to be understood and used in a ‘body’ mentality (the greater good)
Now, dear brothers and sisters, regarding your question about the special abilities the Spirit gives us. I don’t want you to misunderstand this.You know that when you were still pagans, you were led astray and swept along in worshiping speechless idols.
- The language has a big picture connotation ‘Spiritual Matters’ in general
- Gifts are part of the ‘Spiritual Matters’ but not the most important…Ch.13
- The Spiritual aspects of our faith are important & should be based on Scripture
- Remember we have been wrong in the past; so let’s stay humble & teachable
So I want you to know that no one speaking by the Spirit of God will curse Jesus, and no one can say Jesus is Lord, except by the Holy Spirit.
- Whatever or whoever speaks in opposition to the Biblical Christ is not of God
- God’s Spirit is the source of anyone declaring Christ as Lord
- There is no ‘Spiritual Neutrality’…
- Declaring ‘Jesus Lord’
There are different kinds of spiritual gifts, but the same Spirit is the source of them all. There are different kinds of service, but we serve the same Lord.
- ‘Source’ is term Paul used to describe ‘Authority’ or ‘Headship’
- The Holy Spirit always Glorifies Jesus Christ & God The Father
- Language implies they are ‘Grace-Gifts’ and as such serve the purposes of Christ
God works in different ways, but it is the same God who does the work in all of us. A spiritual gift is given to each of us so we can help each other.
- These Grace Gifts from God are part of the ‘Sanctification Process’
- God gives us these ‘abilities’ for the good of others
- Help each other what? Help each other grow in closeness to Christ
LIST OF SOME OF THE ‘BIBLICAL’ SPIRITUAL GIFTS
- We understand the Grace Gifts based on Scripture, not feelings
- They are to be focused on other people’s benefit & God’s Glory
To one person the Spirit gives the ability to give wise advice; to another the same Spirit gives a message of special knowledge.
- Advise, guidance and decision making ability corresponding to God’s will
- In depth understanding of spiritual issues and situations
- These two gifts work together, often among Elders
The same Spirit gives ‘great faith’ to another, and to someone else the ONE Spirit gives the gift of healing.
- Ability to trust God and help others trust God no matter the circumstances
- The ability to be a vehicle of God’s healing power in supernatural ways
He gives one person the power to perform miracles, and another the ability to prophesy. He gives someone else the ability to discern whether a message is from the Spirit of God or from another spirit.
- Ability to display God’s power through signs and wonders
- Ability to determine the spiritual source & influence of messages, events and acts
- These two are crucial to have in tandem because evil can counterfeit signs
Still another person is given the ability to speak in unknown languages, while another is given the ability to interpret what is being said.
- ‘Tongues’ is translation of greek ‘glossia’ which means known language
- There is a different word for ‘utterances’ (non language verbal sounds)
- Staying ‘biblical’ speaking in tongues is using an actual language you don’t know
- It is spoken to someone who knows that language and imparts revelation of God
- Revelation by hearing a language you don’t know but supernaturally understand
It is the one and only Spirit who distributes all these gifts. He alone decides which gift each person should have.
- Further clarification of the singular nature of God’s Spirit
- The Holy Spirit has absolute authority in the assignment of Grace Gifts
- Repetition in Scripture is always to gives weight to something.
The idea of personal, action oriented application of God’s Word…
- It is unproductive to think and speak in ‘We Should’…
- Approach it from an ‘I can choose to…’ ‘I want to focus on’ basis
- Let questions yield other more specific & deeper questions that you ask & answer
- Small changes that build more obedience
Why should YOU discover and develop YOUR Spiritual Gifts?
How do YOUR Spiritual gifts clearly declare ‘Jesus is Lord’?
Spiritual Gifts are given to help each other, how well are YOU doing that with YOURS?
How content are YOU with YOUR Spiritual Gifts & how do YOU celebrate other’s gifts?