GRACE FOR THE HUMBLE
Our Relationships with each other flow from our relationship with God. Humility is the essence of our relationship with God, so it can be with each other. Humility is the essence of the incarnation of Jesus Christ. Humility is not friendship with this present world, this world tells us to be proud…
If we want to walk with God experiencing His grace fully we have to become humble. God has given us this scripture to point the way to the life He has for us…Humility is opposite all of our natural impulses, we need God to make us humble. It is only because God humbles us that we surrender our lives to Him for eternity, but it is the same humility we are to cultivate in our relationship and transformation with Christ.
Ch. 3:17-18 (End of last week’s message)
17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure. It is also peace loving, gentle at all times, and willing to yield to others. It is full of mercy and the fruit of good deeds. It shows no favoritism and is always sincere. 18 And those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness.
- God’ wisdom should direct our living (Christ’s Living Body)
1 What is causing the quarrels and fights among you? Don’t they come from the evil desires at war within you? 2 You want what you don’t have, so you scheme and kill to get it. You are jealous of what others have, but you can’t get it, so you fight and wage war to take it away from them.
- Conflict we have with others comes from within us (our sin of selfishness)
- Our desire for things, approval & status lead us into conflict
- We are taught by this world to value stuff & self more relationships
Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. 3 And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure.
- The more we rely on ourselves the less we ask God for (self reliance)
- Even as followers of Jesus Christ we don’t depend on God
- Then we turn to God as a last resort…and not to please Him but to use Him
4 You adulterers! Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God.
- If we put our time, talent & treasure into ‘Worldly Priorities’ we are adulterers
- James makes it cut and dry…we like to hedge and fool ourselves
- We need to honestly evaluate what we are valuing with our lifestyles
5 Do you think the Scriptures have no meaning? They say that God is passionate that the spirit he has placed within us should be faithful to him. 6 And he gives grace generously. As the Scriptures say, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.” (Proverbs 3:34)
- When God puts His Spirit in us He expects us to be true to Him
- The message of Scripture: God wanting His people to be ‘Set Apart’ for Him
- The only way we can be faithful is to embrace humility
7 So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.
- Knowing that in and of ourselves we will be proud & betray God, we need help
- God’s telling us how to get where we want to go; will we adopt these practices?
- God’s wisdom is: asking Him for humility & to increase the value of humility
- God wants us to be undivided; and He wants us to be honest about falling short
9 Let there be tears for what you have done. Let there be sorrow and deep grief. Let there be sadness instead of laughter, and gloom instead of joy.
- I believe God wants us to honestly mourn our sin… Emote… Process Reality
- We are not to always be ‘all fake happy’; there is a place of ‘Holy Sorrow’
10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor.
- There is no more important thing we can do in every aspect of our lives
- True humility before God is essential part of salvation
- True humility before God is the only way to live if He is who we say He is
- Who would you most desire to lift you up in honor?
What are ways you can connect god’s wisdom to your relational world?
In a normal day, what do you specifically ask God for?
What are your strongest lures to ‘befriend’ the world?
Describe how passionate you believe Jesus is that You be His faithful follower.
Are verses 7-10 a prescription or a suggestion to you?