1 Thessalonians 5:14-18
Paul writing on behalf of the leadership group he is part of (the whole letter is from the plural) to the body that is the local church in Thessalonica. This passage near the end of the letter, is a guide to some basics of how we are to live as Jesus Christ’s body; the local church known as Midtown Church.
This morning let it serve to encourage us to a lifestyle that glorifies God as members of Christ’s body, the local church.
14 And we urge you, brothers and sisters, warn those who are idle and disruptive, encourage the disheartened, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15 Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.
- What is the warning and why do we bother?
- You can’t encourage someone who is disheartened if you don’t know they are hurting
- The weak need to be real that they need help, admitting they are that they are weak
- Romans 12:3 For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.
- ‘Making Sure’ This should be an agreed upon cultural norm: NO responding to evil with evil
- With in the family / body we do what is best for individuals AND the whole body
- We are to live with joy! How do we do that? Big picture we live surrendered lives to Christ
- To do that WE PRACTICE!
- Practicing always being Joyful
- Practicing continuous Prayer
- Practicing being thankful no matter what
- This is how we are to BE as members of Christ’s body
I encourage you to serve our body in ways that create harmony, not disruption. I encourage you to get emotionally involved in the life of you fellow body parts, patiently helping those you can. I encourage you to not respond to wrong with more wrong but rather to seek what is good for everyone, thinking of the good of the entire family that is the membership of Midtown church!