I used to have some serious authority issues, I was in rebellion against everything. So basically I was in rebellion against God…as I came to realize. Once God brought me to Biblical Salvation @ 35 there was a lot of rebellion to undo. It was a process but I came to understand that if I was surrendering to the authority of Jesus Christ / God The Father / The Holy Spirit, then I had to surrender to all authority that the Triune God has willed.
I also came to understand that if it happens, The Triune God has willed it. This means that if any kind of authority that exists, God has willed it… HARD REALITY!
Where we left off last week…
12 Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world.
- Pete is going to give us some specifics about ‘Living Properly’ (James-like)
- Living as Christ calls us to will bring Honor to God: PRIORITY # 1
13 For the Lord’s sake, submit to all human authority—whether the king as head of state, 14 or the officials he has appointed. For the king has sent them to punish those who do wrong and to honor those who do right.
- Peter says: Christ is THE REASON to do what I am about to tell you to do..
- Submit to ALL Authority, this is everything.
- Government / Education / Military / Family / Occupation / Sports / Associations
- Even Jesus Christ’s Church!
- Top of the food chain of earthly authority: KING… For us it is the president…
- Rulers (in theory) are enforcers of God’s morality / justice (sin corrupted 2 Max)
15 It is God’s will that your honorable lives should silence those ignorant people who make foolish accusations against you. 16 For you are free, yet you are God’s slaves, so don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do evil. 17 Respect everyone, and love the family of believers. Fear God, and respect the king.
- God wants the truth of your life to disprove accusations against your character
- Satan is ‘The accuser of the brethren’ BUT… God knows the truth
- You don’t defend yourself, you let your life speak for you against accusers
- You have freedom from accusation, but don’t get proud… (serious prob 4 me)
- Never forget that you are owned, bought and paid for, so remember who’s boss
- Don’t abuse God’s grace (Romans 6:1-2)
- Respect all and LOVE God’s family
- Respect and Love are not the same thing
- Fear (as used here) is the ultimate level of respect
18 You who are slaves must submit to your masters with all respect. Do what they tell you—not only if they are kind and reasonable, but even if they are cruel. 19 For God is pleased when, conscious of his will, you patiently endure unjust treatment.
- “All Respect’ same word used in the verse 17 pertaining to God (reverent fear)
- If you are under authority where you don’t have full freedom…STILL Submit
- Followers of Christ are to submit to authority regardless of it’s righteousness
- Conscious of His will means: ‘It is happening so It is God’s will’
- God’s Spirit teaches us God’s is pleased when we surrender to His sovereignty
- Not conditional sovereignty… ABSOLUTE SOVEREIGNTY
20 Of course, you get no credit for being patient if you are beaten for doing wrong. But if you suffer for doing good and endure it patiently, God is pleased with you. 21 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.
- God saying: Like V. 16; God will handle your PR when you obey HIM
- Don’t look for accolades ‘suffering 4 Christ’ when you did wrong!
- Don’t abuse God’s Grace! (Taking forgiveness for granted) spiritual entitlement
- As Christ’s followers we are to ‘do good’ even if it causes us to suffer
- We are to suffer because HE suffered
- Follow in His Steps…be covered by the dust of your Rabbi
22 He never sinned, nor ever deceived anyone.[Isaiah 53:9] 23 He did not retaliate when he was insulted, nor threaten revenge when he suffered. He left his case in the hands of God, who always judges fairly.
- Here are specifics of the example Christ is to us:
- Perfect Holiness & Perfect Integrity: Difficult Goal! (Don’t lower the standard)
- He had the ability to retaliate… He certainly could have enacted revenge..
- Why? Because HE Submitted 100% to God the Father… left ALL in His hands
- Christ surrendered completely to His Father’s will, showing us how to do it!
24 He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed. 25 Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.
- God (Christ) submitted as a person bearing the weight of all sin on the cross
- Dying for OUR sin in OUR place so we could live for the opposite of SIN
- His death brings about our eternal life (gratitude prevents grace abuse)
- Those called by Christ were once far from God, but that is no longer the case
- Shepherd & Guardian = Leading and Protecting
Our entire lives are to be ‘For Christ’s Sake’.
Surrender to Christ = Submission to ALL authority structures.
Living as Christ’s slaves means not abusing God’s grace exercising our freedom.
Submission goes all the way to oppression, and even then trusting God is in charge.
Don’t confuse suffering for your bad choices / sin with suffering on behalf of God.
Christ is our example of fully submitting to God’s sovereign authority structures.
What is something you are going to change in your life ‘For The Lord’s Sake’?
Are you aware of ‘Grace Abuse’ in your life? How do you react when you discover it?
What keeps you from living as though all authority structures are there because God has put them there?
What circumstances cause you to rebel against authority instead of following Christ’s example?
THERE IS FREEDOM IN SURRENDER TO CHRIST
THERE IS HOPE OBEYING GOD
YOU CAN TRUST HIM FOR EVERYTHING…INCLUDING TODAY & ETERNITY!