How does the message of Malachi’s prophecy connect to the story of Christ?
The Prophecy of Malachi is part how Scripture reveals what God is all about
He is a God of perfection, purity and holiness who desires a relationship with US!
He is a God who warns US of the consequences for continued rebellion against Him
He is a God who judges US, making distinctions based on His perfect standards.
He is a God who punishes and rewards US based on HIS perfect justice
Most importantly, He is a God who comes to US! (riding on the colt of a donkey)
Last Week: Malachi 3:16-18
Then those who feared the Lord spoke with one another. The Lord paid attention and heard them, and a book of remembrance was written before him of those who feared the Lord and esteemed his name. They shall be mine, says the Lord of hosts, in the day when I make up My treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him. Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve Him.
1 The Lord of Heaven’s Armies says, “The day of judgment is coming, burning like a furnace. On that day the arrogant and the wicked will be burned up like straw. They will be consumed—roots, branches, and all.
- Day of Judgement is mentioned yet again (3rd time) Repetition…TAKE NOTE!
- The theme of an impending Judgement is found throughout scripture (28 direct)
- This imaginary speaks of absolute & total destruction of those opposed to God
2 “But for you who fear My name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in His wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.
- If judged as wicked you face a certain fate, if found to fear God, another
- Those who fear Yahweh’s Name (If you know Him you fear HIM)
- This is a clear illusion to the Resurrection of the Messiah (Christ Jesus)
- The healing is spiritual healing… the return of ‘Shalom’ that was in the Garden
- The recognition of this healing is an experience of joyful freedom
- When God brings Judgement, those who fear His name join Him
- Part of being a child of God is YOU join in the family business
- That business is now the propagation of the Gospel… then it will be punishment
- Those who surrender their life to Christ will be part of ‘Heaven’s Army’
- God delivered the Ten Commandments to Moses on Mount Sinai
- The Ten Commandments are the foundation of a right relationship with God
- Jesus Christ’s Body has always observed of the Ten Commandments
5 “Look, I am sending you the prophet Elijah before the great and dreadful day of the Lord arrives. 6 His preaching will turn the hearts of fathers to their children, and the hearts of children to their fathers. Otherwise I will come and strike the land with a curse.”
- Elijah represents the entirety of God prophetic message to His people
- That prophetic message has always included a call to repentance
- That prophetic message has always included a warning about judgment day
- God is constantly calling all people to turn their hearts to their heavenly Father
Mount of Transfiguration: Jesus meeting with Moses & Elijah represents the unity between Christ and ‘The Law & The Prophets’ (O.T.) Last 3 verses of prophecy before Christ
V. 1: Judgement is coming…there are only two results of the judgement. Those judged as the arrogant and wicked will face total annihilation, there is no partial penalty.
V. 2: The fate of those judged to fear God’s name will experience absolute healing (from sin’s effect) resulting in absolute freedom.
V. 3: On judgement day, God’s actions will result in those who fear His name joining Him in the punishment of the wicked.
V. 4: God provides guidance for those who wish to be numbered among those who ‘fear his Name’. Ten Commandments = Basics on how to relate to God and mankind.
V. 5: There will be a return of Elijah before Christ’s second coming. John the Baptist was the figurative Elijah that came before the initial advent of The Messiah, this time is before ‘Final Judgement’.
V. 6: The preaching of this Elijah will turn those who fear God to repentance and restoration of relationships. Those who don’t respond will experience His wrath.
In what ways does your life reflect your fearing of God’s name? How might that improve?
Have you experienced ‘Joyful Freedom’ in Christ? If so what does that look like?
How might joining in God’s work now prepare you for joining His work on Judgement Day?
How well do you understand God’s messages found in the law and the prophets / Old Testament?