How much time do we spend figuring out what Jesus wants? We see him mostly as a teacher, a exorcist and a healer…and He is really in demand. But what does He want to show us trough His actions and words?
We are looking at the 1st days of His public ministry. He begins a pattern of prolific public ministry followed by Him going off alone for prayer and then initiating new things. He demonstrates how He wants to be highly accessible and highly personal. He shows them and us how He wants to be intimate and touch us with His influence. He is going to show His compassion and mercy on a big scale and it little ways. He is going to show us what He wants to do for us and with us
Mark 1:29-45 (NASB 1995)
29 And immediately after they came out of the synagogue, they came into the house of Simon and Andrew, with James and John. 30 Now Simon’s mother-in-law was lying sick with a fever; and immediately they spoke to Jesus about her. 31 And He came to her and raised her up, taking her by the hand, and the fever left her, and she waited on them.
- Same day as the exorcism in the synagogue (lunch after church)
- Simon’s mother [what about Andrew’s mom?]
- Jesus finds out, Jesus comes to her [His presence] and ‘All Better’
32 When evening came, after the sun had set, they began bringing to Him all who were ill and those who were demon-possessed. 33 And the whole city had gathered at the door. 34 And He healed many who were ill with various diseases, and cast out many demons; and He was not permitting the demons to speak, because they knew who He was.
- STILL THE SAME DAY!!!
- At the end of the sabbath they carted and carried those who were immobile
- The whole city is at Simon & Andrew’s door…’The Man’ is in demand
- Healing for diseases and demon possession [not the same thing]
- He didn’t let the demon talk
35 In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there. 36 Simon and his companions searched for Him; 37 they found Him, and said to Him, “Everyone is looking for You.”
- After a day of teaching and confronting demons…then an evening of healing
- PRAYER = Connection
- The person no one knew a week ago is now indispensable…To Everyone!
- Jesus would from then on seek out times of ‘retreat’
38 He said to them, “Let us go somewhere else to the towns nearby, so that I may preach there also; for that is what I came for.” 39 And He went into their synagogues throughout all Galilee, preaching and casting out the demons.
- Jesus says: ‘I need to spread myself around’… expand The Everyone
- He didn’t just come for the Galileans: Gospel is for Everyone
- He went around to where they had jewish gathering places [synagogues]
- The idea is He replicated the day we had just seen in Capernaum
40 And a leper came to Jesus, beseeching Him and falling on his knees before Him, and saying, “If You are willing, You can make me clean.” 41 Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, and said to him, “I am willing; be cleansed.” 42 Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed.
- Leper seems to be in a separate category…He had been casting out demons
- Leprosy seems to symbolize the degradation of mankind due to sin
- It is not a question, it is a statement: ‘if You’re willing, You can cure me’
- We see Jesus’ compassion and His ‘Ministry of Touch’
- He wants the leper to know how willing He is to respond to faith
- BAM! Cleansing / restoration
43 And He sternly warned him and immediately sent him away, 44 and He said to him, “See that you say nothing to anyone; but go, show yourself to the priest and offer for your cleansing what Moses commanded, as a testimony to them.”
- Charged him vehemently, warned him to tell no one except the Priest
- Jesus always honored the law of Moses and compelled people to observe it
- The message was for the religious establishment, it would be one of many
- Testimony established by Jesus as something we give regarding HIS influence
45 But he went out and began to proclaim it freely and to spread the news around, to such an extent that Jesus could no longer publicly enter a city, but stayed out in unpopulated areas; and they were coming to Him from everywhere.
- The leper did not do as Jesus asked him to…basically the opposite!
- Jesus could not operate as He did just days before, everything had changed
- The Everyone had grown
- What He wants for you and me He wants for everyone!
Jesus wants to be part of our families and way of living, bringing healing to our homes.
Jesus wants everyone to come to Him, seeking physical and spiritual healing.
Jesus wants to be part of every community, willingly redeeming a sin infected world through the intimacy of personal relationship.
His people are to testify to the reality of how HE can change everything in this world.
Have you opened up your entire life to Jesus? What parts of your life do you need to fully give Him access to?
Have you sought Jesus for physical and spiritual healing? What stands in the way?
How can you be a Testimony in your workplace and social life to Jesus’ willingness to redeem things sin has degraded?