CHRIST’S RESURRECTION: OUR PEACE, PROOF, PARDON & POWER
The Bodily Resurrection of Jesus Christ is Crucial…but just part of the whole Gospel
7 Key Aspects of The Gospel of Jesus Christ:
Humility of Birth & Life
Tempted but Sinless
Preaching The Kingdom
Suffering & Death
Ascent & Return
And just as they were telling about it, Jesus himself was suddenly standing there among them. “Peace be with you,” He said. But the whole group was startled and frightened, thinking they were seeing a ghost!
- Significance of ‘Peace be with you’ (In John’s version He says it twice)
- Even the guys who were with Him on the road (Whole Group)
“Why are you frightened?” He asked. “Why are your hearts filled with doubt? Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.” As he spoke, he showed them his hands and his feet.
- Humans are wired for doubt, Jesus addresses it head on
- He want to show us He is real
Still they stood there in disbelief, filled with joy and wonder. Then he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he ate it as they watched.
- Christ wanted the Disciples to be clear that He had been ‘Bodily Resurrected’
- Spirits don’t eat. He had a physical body, but it was a glorified body
Then he said, “When I was with you before, I told you that everything written about me in the law of Moses and the prophets and in the Psalms must be fulfilled.” Then he opened their minds to understand the Scriptures.
- Christ points to the Hebrew Scriptures to validate what they are experiencing
- It is the same with us: we filter our experience through scripture (objective)
- Only through belief will Scripture make sense (Holy Spirit / Christ in Person)
- Fulfilled Prophecy Proves Christ’s Sovereignty
And he said, “Yes, it was written long ago that the Messiah would suffer and die and rise from the dead on the third day.
- The foretold Messiah would prove He was God Incarnate by dying & RISING
It was also written that this message would be proclaimed in the authority of his name to all the nations, beginning in Jerusalem: ‘There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent.’ You are witnesses of all these things.
- Messiah = God…His Authority proclaims: Repentance = Forgiveness
- If in repentance you make His name the ultimate authority: your sin is pardoned
- They witnessed the reality: We too have witnessed the reality: ‘Testify’ w/ life
- They have all the information to put the picture together…SO DO WE!
And now I will send the Holy Spirit, just as my Father promised. But stay here in the city until the Holy Spirit comes and fills you with power from heaven.”
- Now that HE has fulfilled everything He depart and sent ‘The Helper’
- The Father Promised the sending of the Spirit
- It is God’s Spirit that in effects Resurrects all who repent & surrender
- The power over sin and death is given to Christ’s disciples
‘And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions. And also on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days.’
Then Jesus led them to Bethany, and lifting his hands to heaven, he blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up to heaven. So they worshiped him and then returned to Jerusalem filled with great joy. And they spent all of their time in the Temple, praising God.
- In Acts Luke states that for 40 days after resurrection He appeared many times
- He blessed them with present experience authenticated with historical reality!
- There is total understanding by Disciples that Jesus is God, so they worshiped
- The joy of knowing The Risen Christ reshaped their priorities…
The Resurrection Completes the Process that gives us true Shalom With our Creator
The Resection fulfilled Prophecy, Proving The Sovereignty of Christ Jesus (God)
The Resurrection Demonstrates God’s Power over Sin, So Christ can Pardon Yours
The Resurrection Begins the time when God’s Spirit dwells in His People in (Power)
IF Christ’s Resurrection is your Peace, Proof, Pardon and Power…We Worship!
How & why does the Resurrected Christ bring peace to your life?
How do you address your doubts when it comes to Christ Jesus?
Why is it important, as a disciple of Christ, to know He is bodily Resurrected?
Why does it matter if you believe the whole Old Testament is about Christ?
How do you connect Christ’s Resurrection with the pardoning of your Sin?
How real is God’s Holy Spirit in your daily faith walk? What role does Scripture play?
How do you experience worship of the Risen Christ in your average week?