The Fruit of Disciple-Living
Colossians 3:16 – 4:6
Previous Messages from Colossians:
What it means to be a ‘True Disciple’ of Christ
Who Jesus Christ Is
How Christ Lives in Each of us
Fighting the Worldly Influences of Syncretism.
The Power of Relationship over Rule Following
How We are Hidden & Clothed in Christ
This Week: What it looks like to live as ChrIst’s Disciples: The fruit of disciple-living
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.
- Filling our lives with the richness of Christ is true discipleship
- Sharing and advising other in the body of Christ is an honor and a blessing
- Praising God should be a regular part of our days: Fruit of Discipleship
And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.
- If you are ‘Full of Christ’ than what will overflow will represent Him
- Every part of our lives are to be brought under His Lordship
- If He is your Lord, than live from thankfulness to that Lordship
- We give thanks through Him by living like Him (lifestyle flows from discipleship)
Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting for those who belong to the Lord. Husbands, love your wives and never treat them harshly.
- If you belong to Jesus, play the role He has given you
- Plurality with headship…God has set it up that way
- Husbands, cherish the gift of a wife that God gave you
- Our marriages are a true test of our ‘Disciple-Living’
Children, always obey your parents, for this pleases the Lord. Fathers, do not aggravate your children, or they will become discouraged.
- God cares about everything, family matters!
- Pleasing God through obedience is not ‘Progressive’ or ‘Sexy’…just right
- Parents have a crucial stewardship of their children
- Our level of discipleship is reflected in our important relationships
Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything you do. Try to please them all the time, not just when they are watching you. Serve them sincerely because of your reverent fear of the Lord.
- People in authority over you are placed there by God’s sovereignty
- Ultimately you are working for Jesus if you are His disciple
- If you fear God you are released from fearing people
Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.
- Eternal perspective in all areas of life ‘Holistic Christianity’
- We must remember who we serve, and where our rewards come from
But if you do what is wrong, you will be paid back for the wrong you have done. For God has no favorites. Masters, be just and fair to your slaves. Remember that you also have a Master—in heaven.
- There are earthly consequences for sin, even if it is forgiven by God…
- A position of power dosen’t afford you the right to treat people unfairly
- A true disciple does everything for an ‘Audience of One’
Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. Pray for us, too, that God will give us many opportunities to speak about his mysterious plan concerning Christ. That is why I am here in chains. Pray that I will proclaim this message as clearly as I should.
- Devotion, alertness and thankfulness…fruit of true Christ discipleship
- Praying for those dedicated to spreading the gospel get you ‘Gospel-centric’
- Paul saw the opportunity to share the gospel in every circumstance
Live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone.
- Living ‘wisely’, biblically defined, is living as a disciple of Christ
- You may be the only ‘Bible’ a non believer has ever read
- Being Gracious & Attractive comes from living out the fullness of Christ Discipleship
How do you intentionally let the message of Christ fill your life / lifestyle?
What does it look like to represent the Lord Jesus?
What role do your family relationships play in your discipleship to Christ?
How do you bring your discipleship of Christ to your work life?
What is your level of devotion to prayer? What can you do to raise it?
How are you involved in the clear presenting of the Gospel?
How do you bring your life with Christ into your relationship with non-believers?