Spiritual Warfare IS seeking God’s will
Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- We cannot discover God’s will living in conformance to the pattern of this world
1st Thessalonians 4:1-3a
…We instructed you how to live in order to please God, as in fact you are living. Now we ask you and urge you in the Lord Jesus to do this more and more. For you know what instructions we gave you by the authority of the Lord Jesus. It is God’s will that you should be sanctified…
- We have to be sanctified in order to live by His will
…the devil… He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.
- He is ‘distorted truth’ himself; he is the opposite of ‘The Truth’
…the devil—the commander of the powers in the unseen world. He is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God.
- Controls and coordinates demonic activity
1st Peter 5:8
Stay alert! Watch out for your great enemy, the devil. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for someone to devour.
- He plays dirty and he plays for keeps (always active)
Then the angel showed me Jeshua the high priest standing before the angel of the Lord. The Accuser, Satan, was there at the angel’s right hand, making accusations against Jeshua.
- He plays to our emotional vulnerabilities
2 Corinthians 11:14
- Creating the deception of evil being made to appear as good
Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil.
- Persistent tempter; he even tried to tempt Christ!
The Battlefield: Our Minds
2nd Corinthians 11:3-4
But I fear that somehow your pure and undivided devotion to Christ will be corrupted, just as Eve was deceived by the cunning ways of the serpent. You happily put up with whatever anyone tells you, even if they preach a different Jesus than the one we preach, or a different kind of Spirit than the one you received, or a different kind of gospel than the one you believed.
- Our desire to ‘Fit In’ or ‘Be Accepted’ makes us vunerable
1 Corinthians 15:33-34
Don’t be fooled by those who say such things, for “bad company corrupts good character.” Think carefully about what is right, and stop sinning. For to your shame I say that some of you don’t know God at all.
- The influences we surround ourselves with can subtly lead us astray
You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News but is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who deliberately twist the truth concerning Christ.
- We have to know the ‘Real Thing’ so we can’t be fooled
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.
- Seeking God’s will from a place of ‘Spiritual Pride’ is a losing battle
The Self / Flesh
Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God.
- Living by ‘The Flesh’ will block attempts to discover God’s will
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.
- The conflict is a given; are you going to compete or quit?
You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
- Conformity to God’s will requires change; there will be opposition to that
Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.
- What gets your priority? What captures your time, emotions & resources?
Prayer & Warfare (Prayer Service My 20th)
And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.
- Diversity, Alertness & Persistence
I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms.
- God’s power is on our side in the battle; learn how to participate in that power
- Humility and assent to God’s Will through a deep prayer relationship WORKS!
“And when you fast, don’t make it obvious, as the hypocrites do, for they try to look miserable and disheveled so people will admire them for their fasting.
- Prayer is not for show, it’s too important to let any pride into it
Warfare Prayer: ‘Spiritual Warfare is A Family Business’
OUR Father in heaven, may your name be kept holy. May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in heaven. Give US today the food we need, and forgive US our sins, as WE have forgiven those who sin against US. And don’t let US yield to temptation, but rescue US from the evil one.
In your day to day life how do you connect seeking God’s will and Spiritual Warfare?
How would you describe Satan / The Devil, in three sentences based on Scripture?
What strategies do you use regularly to keep from being deceived and corrupted?
What are the forces you can identify that move you out of God’s will?
How seriously do you take spiritual warfare and why?
What role does your prayer life play in the seeking of God’s will for your life?
From these Scriptures, what is the #1 thing you want to concentrate on this week?