Discipleship Is: Sacrificial Relationships
Colossians Pt. 8 (4:7-18)
Tychicus will give you a full report about how I am getting along. He is a beloved brother and faithful helper who serves with me in the Lord’s work. I have sent him to you for this very purpose—to let you know how we are doing and to encourage you.
- Co-Worker / Peer
- Paul is making Intentional Connections; growing relationships
- Showing up is a massive encouragement!
I am also sending Onesimus, a faithful and beloved brother, one of your own people. He and Tychicus will tell you everything that’s happening here.
- Onesimus is the ‘Go-Between’
- Paul has ‘Teamed These Guys up’ (Discipleship Triad)
Aristarchus, who is in prison with me, sends you his greetings, and so does Mark, Barnabas’s cousin. As you were instructed before, make Mark welcome if he comes your way.
- Mark caused Barnabas & Paul disagree / Wrote the gospel of Mark
- Paul had been let down by Mark yet continued to invest in him…
Jesus (the one we call Justus) also sends his greetings. These are the only Jewish believers among my co-workers; they are working with me here for the Kingdom of God. And what a comfort they have been!
- Fellow Jews provide comfort because they have the common history
Epaphras, a member of your own fellowship and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings. He always prays earnestly for you, asking God to make you strong and perfect, fully confident that you are following the whole will of God. I can assure you that he prays hard for you and also for the believers in Laodicea and Hierapolis.
- People praying for you that you may not know about
- His Prayer is basically for them to be ‘Spiritually Mature’
Luke, the beloved doctor, sends his greetings, and so does Demas. Please give my greetings to our brothers and sisters at Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church that meets in her house.
- The whole crew working together for and with each other
- Obviously a Woman was playing a critical leadership role (Not Elder)
After you have read this letter, pass it on to the church at Laodicea so they can read it, too. And you should read the letter I wrote to them.
- They have a ‘Church Network’
- Churches working together takes sacrifice amongst leaders
And say to Archippus, “Be sure to carry out the ministry the Lord gave you.”
- Encouraging others to grow into who they are called to be
- Paul is affirming his investment, doing it publicly, as an example
HERE IS MY GREETING IN MY OWN HANDWRITING—PAUL.
Remember my chains. May God’s grace be with you.
- Why remember his chains? Paul still needs people to invest in HIM!
- God’s Grace is how he will continue to invest
What can you do to intentionally encourage people in your life?
How can you purposefully connect others and bring people together?
How can you prayer life connect you to others and their needs?
How do you share important things with others on a regular basis?
How might you sacrificially help others realize their potential as a disciple?
How have you been influenced by someones sacrificial investment?