Revelation 5: ‘The Scroll & The Song’
Then I saw a scroll in the right hand of the one who was sitting on the throne. There was writing on the inside and the outside of the scroll, and it was sealed with seven seals.
- The ‘Scroll’ is the ‘New Covenant’ or ‘The Gospel’ (Reality of Jesus The Christ)
- 7 Seals: Complete & Perfect
- Scroll & Seals represent the perfect will of God
- It was obviously of incredible importance
And I saw a strong angel, who shouted with a loud voice: “Who is worthy to break the seals on this scroll and open it?” But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll and read it.
- Some translations read: Nothing in all creation…’
- None could enact it or even envision it
- Only God HIMSELF can Understand & Enact HIS perfect will
Then I began to weep bitterly because no one was found worthy to open the scroll and read it. But one of the twenty-four elders said to me, “Stop weeping! Look, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the heir to David’s throne, has won the victory. He is worthy to open the scroll and its seven seals.”
- John had a sense of how important this ‘News’ / ‘Reality’ / ‘Declaration’ was…
- Two references to who ‘The Christ’ would be identified as from Old Testament
- The victory he won was the redemption of our souls on the cross
- What Jesus Christ did opened the door to the redemption only God can bring
- The seven seals are judgements that occur before the end of the age
- Scroll & Seals are separate things
Then I saw a Lamb that looked as if it had been slaughtered, but it was now standing between the throne and the four living beings and among the twenty-four elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which represent the sevenfold Spirit of God that is sent out into every part of the earth.
- The Perfect Sacrifice tie back to Old Testament ‘Redemption / Covering of Sin
- ‘Between’ humanity and Almighty God is the Christ
- Jesus: All God / All Man HAD / possessed & embodied all of God’s Spirit – H.S.
- He is the ‘Vehicle’ that releases the ‘Complete’ Spirit of God to the whole world
- Jesus of Nazareth, The Christ, God HIMSELF…
He stepped forward and took the scroll from the right hand of the one sitting on the throne. And when he took the scroll, the four living beings and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp, and they held gold bowls filled with incense, which are the prayers of God’s people.
- Who can approach ‘The Throne’…
- ‘From the Right Hand…’
- Community and Collaboration with in the love of the Trinity
- Just the act of taking the scroll is cause for worship
- Our prayers can be a part of this!
And they sang a new song with these words: “You are worthy to take the scroll and break its seals and open it. For you were slaughtered, and your blood has ransomed people for God from every tribe and language and people and nation. And you have caused them to become a Kingdom of priests for our God. And they will reign on the earth.”
- ‘A New Song’
- It is based on the finished work of the Cross and what was won: YOUR SOUL
- ‘People Groups’ no mention of different races because all are the same ‘Race’
Then I looked again, and I heard the voices of thousands and millions of angels around the throne and of the living beings and the elders. And they sang in a mighty chorus: “Worthy is the Lamb who was slaughtered—to receive power and riches and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and blessing.”
- Thousands and millions of Angels…
- The ‘Chorus’ of the New Song is all about The Christ
- His Sacrifice releases all of the goodness of our Creator
And then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea. They sang: “Blessing and honor and glory and power belong to the one sitting on the throne and to the Lamb forever and ever.”
- All Creation will eventually declare Who Christ is and the glory He is due
- They could not share the Glory if they were not one in every essence
- The one’s who initiate the worship declare their agreement
- And the Elders continue to worship Christ
Why do you believe the Biblical message of redemption in Christ to be all you need?
What is significant about Jesus Christ being the only one who can open the Scroll?
How much of your worship is based on the reality of Christ enacting your salvation?
How well do you identify yourself as part of the ‘Kingdom of Priests’?
How would you define ‘A New Song’ and what would cause you to sing it?